Thursday, March 31, 2011

GF Graham Crackers



Graham crackers are one of those classic snacks that I never think of unless I want a s'more. Seriously, there are quite a few things that everyone else seems to eat that are not in my lexicon'o food. In light of this, I'm not quite sure what inspired my hankering for some good old fashioned crackers. Whatever the case, I set out to make them.

And totally failed.

Now, my interpretation of failure is different than yours might be. See, the main ingredient flip was in the flour. I ran out of the last tiny bit of brown rice flour and subbed in buckwheat flour. Don't let the name fool you, it's gluten free. It's also dark brown and sort of makes everything look like dirt. It also has an earthy taste to it that makes some people think it tastes like dirt. Great start. Add to the fact that I'm LAZY and couldn't be fucked to properly roll them out and you have one recipe that has all the makings of graham crackers but is certainly not. 


Now my first bite made me cringe a bit. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. Hilariously, I made a friend try them. At first she was intimidated to try them, then absolutely scared after she took a bite and let out a half-terrified "Ew!" Thanks, Julie. However, these grew on me in ways I couldn't have imagined. For one, I'm not fond of the graham cracker taste, to a point that I refuse to use it as pie crust and scrape it off. But after you get used to the buckwheat, it allows you to enjoy the sweetness of the honey and sugar without being overwhelmingly sweet.

Also, by not making these cracker-thin, they turned out soft with a melt-in-your-mouth crumb feel that is so addicting for me- very similar to a scone. I think this might be a base for an amazing cookie bar or something. Either way, my fail probably turned out for the best, since this is yet another recipe I wanted to make that I figured out later I'm not quite fond of. Such is life.

If you'd like to try your hand at the actual recipe, you can find it here. If you're looking for something a bit different, I originally wanted to make this graham cracker recipe, but didn't have all the ingredients. Or you can do it my way, by not following a recipe and ending up better for it.

Just saying.

1 comment:

Mariana said...

This picture actually looks wonderful. It reminds me of a spicy, soft and fresh gingerbread. I've never had buckwheat except for boxed pancake mix so I'll let you be the expert and trust your judgement on taste. They do look pretty.