Saturday, January 13, 2007

Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Soup

Since the holiday boom hit, I’ve tried a dozen new recipes. While I will end up sharing my experience with those, I’d like to start off with something new. Now, I love food blogs. I regularly hunt them out, though many don’t hold my attention. Upon finding this blog, I almost did an about face since the woman blogging was on the South Beach diet and included mostly recipes that fit into the guidelines. I have a tendency to run for the hills when I see any words relating to diet, which is absolutely ridiculous since many of the foods I love are healthy. Knowing my bias was irrational, I forged ahead. I quickly stumbled upon a recipe that made me stop. And drool a bit. I had to make it.

This recipe is listed in Kalyn's Kitchen (link at bottom). I would write out the actual method I used to cook this, but I’ve completely forgotten since I wanted it RIGHT THEN and used what I had on hand. That included a can of sauerkraut, just in case you were wondering. It was wonderful- tangy, filling, and delicious.

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out how to rename links so that the hyperlink is to a specific page but the underlined text you click on says what I want it to. If anyone could point out how to do that, I would appreciate it.



Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Soup

1 lb. very lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)

2-3 tsp. olive oil (depends on your pan)

1 cup chopped onion (one large onion)

1 T minced garlic (or less if you're not that fond of garlic)

2 cups chicken stock(or 1 14 oz. can chicken broth)

2 14 oz. cans beef broth

1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice

1 14 oz. can sauerkraut with juice (or use bottled sauerkraut)

1 cup water (if needed)

1 T Splenda or brown sugar

1 T Worcestershire sauce

3-4 dried bay leaves

3 T minced parsley or 1-2 T dried parsley

1 tsp. rubbed sage

fresh ground black pepper to taste


In heavy frying pan, heat 1 tsp. olive oil, add ground beef and brown well, breaking into small pieces with turner. This will take as much as ten minutes but don't rush the browning step.

While ground beef browns, combine chicken stock, beef stock, canned tomatoes, sauerkraut, Splenda or brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, parsley and sage in large stock pot. Bring to a low simmer.

When beef is well browned, add to soup in pot. Deglaze pan with a bit of the soup liquid, scraping off any browned bits, and add to soup.

Wipe out frying pan and add other 2 tsp. olive oil. Saute onions 2-3 minutes, until starting to soften, then add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes more. Add to soup, reduce heat under soup pot and let soup simmer at low heat about one hour. After an hour, taste for seasoning and add water if soup seems too strong. Simmer 15 minutes more if adding water. Season to taste with fresh-ground black pepper before serving. Serve hot, with sour cream if desired.

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/01/south-beach-phase-one-recipes-ground.html#links

No comments: