Sunday, November 8, 2009

Apple Oatmeal Crisp


Do apples make anyone else angry? I mean, they're gorgeous, shiny little things. They're lovely during the rest of the year, but in fall they just shout the joys of cinnamon and flaky crust and all things holiday. But they piss me the hell off. Every once in a while I get a little giddy and say, "Hey! Why not pick up some apples with the rest of this fruit?" forgetting how evil they really are. I, of course, am reminded at the worst of times.

You're probably wondering what I'm talking about. You see, I'll go off somewhere, on a car trip or to work or anywhere it's inconvenient to get food. Then I'll wait until I'm hungry before realizing I have an apple. A beautiful, shiny, delicious looking apple sitting right there. Logically, if you're hungry and you eat an apple, it should cancel out the hunger, right?

Hunger + Apple = Not Hungry

My equation looks more like this.

Hunger + Apple = 2x(Hunger) + Betrayal + Flashbacks of all the other times this has happened

It's like eating celery. You burn off more calories eating the stuff than the celery actually has in it. I specifically bought 4 apples to make a crisp with. After eating one and feeling BETRAYED by it, I happily took my very sharp knife to the remaining three. They were frightened. They should have been.

I chose one of the simplest crisp recipes I could find. This used simple ingredients. I left out the 1/2 cup white sugar and used a little less oatmeal and flour. Overall, this was tasty. Not my favorite. Of course, this apple pie I made spoiled me for most everything else apple, so take that into account.

No comments: