Sunday, December 16, 2007

Pan-Grilled Sirloin with Horseradish-Chive Butter

Oh, yeah. I was hoping to get this weeks recipe made before today, but this week hasn't been good for grocery shopping. However, I did manage to go today and to whip up a full meal for myself.

I started cooking the last of my potato stock while I prepared all the ingredients for both the steak and the lemon potato dressing. Once it was done, I was ready to cook the steak and everything was done at the same time. This is amazing for me. You can find the potato recipe here (it's all I think about when I hear potato now). The steak recipe was my paper recipe for the week and clipped from an unknown magazine.

Verdict: Well, I halved the recipe. The sirloin steak that I bought was less than $5 but was going to give me two generous servings. I'm surprised at how well it cooked up in my pan. It was really good. I've never cooked steak before. The meat was nice and tender, juicy, not too-cooked. It tasted good on its own, but paired well with the butter. I've very proud of myself. Also, the potatoes were a bit salty because I made a full dressing recipe and only half the potatoes. Oh well. Still tasted good.

I'm still not in love with steak. It tastes good and sometimes you just crave a slab of meat, but it's too chewy. No matter how thick or thin, how well or rare done, it's still chewy as hell. Anyone know why? Or is that just steak? My jaws hurt.



Pan-Grilled Sirloin with Horseradish-chive Butter

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 T prepared horseradish
1 T chopped fresh or dried chives
1/8 tsp salt
4 6oz sirloin or ribeye steaks
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Stir together butter, horseradish, chives, and salt in a small bowl. Spoon onto a sheet of waxed paper and roll into a cylinder. Place in freezer to chill while steaks cook.

2. Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet on med-high until hot. Season steaks with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes on each side for med-rare, or to desired degree of doneness.

3. Serve steaks with sliced horseradish-chive butter.

Makes 4 servings

For Ms. Manners: I only cut two bites of steak at a time. You're welcome.

No comments: