Friday, November 2, 2007

Ramen Surprise

It's that time again. The phase where pretty much all I eat is Ramen Noodles. This is not a bad thing, just very predictable. I am not one of the multitudes of people who have lost their taste for the stringy stuff because they've had to live on it. No, Ramen will always hold a special place in my heart.

One of the most wonderful things about it is that there is no end to the flavor combination you can come up with. There are even whole websites dedicated to that which we call Ramen. I have come up with many of my own favorite stand-bys and would like to share a few here for the broke and hungry. Before that, I would like to clarify my cooking preference (as we all have one). I always add the seasoning to the water before the noodles. I say you only have one chance to boil noodles, so it should be in something flavorful. I almost always prefer mine as soup. I didn't even know people liked theirs pasta-like until a few years ago. Thankfully, I've gotten over the Picky Ramen phase where I had to strain the broth after I added the seasonings because I didn't like the herb chunks. Truth be told, I still don't, but I'll just brush them off if I see them.


Tomato Ramen Soup

1 package Ramen noodles (I prefer beef)
Ketchup

Cook Ramen with enough water to make soup. Squirt ketchup in the bottom of your serving vessel. I like to mix the noodles with it first because it helps dissolve it better. Add remaining broth. Experiment with how much ketchup you like.

*This is how my dad used to make Ramen and it was the only way I'd eat it for most of my childhood.


Kickin Creamy Chicken

1 package Ramen Noodles
1 packet of creamy chicken flavoring mix
1/2 - 1 packet spicy chicken, or other spicy Ramen flavoring mix
Canned or leftover chicken optional
vegetables optional

Cook Ramen to saucy pasta consistency. Add flavors to your liking, mix in rest of ingredients.


Stir Fry Pork Product

1 package pork Ramen noodles
wasabi- to taste
Soy sauce- to taste
powdered ginger- to taste

As always, I like to flavor my "broth" first. I have tube wasabi, so this helps break it down as well. Add Ramen, cook, leave enough to make it saucy.


Chinese Orange Beef

1 package Beef flavored Ramen
Soy sauce- to taste
wasabi- to taste
Orange flavoring- orange sauce, orange essense, marmalade, ect

Cook Ramen to desired saucy-ness with flavorings. Add orange after.

* This also marks the only time in my life where I've uttered the phrase, "I wish I had marmalade."


Does anyone else know where all the good flavors went? I remember a year or two ago where I found a horde of new-to-me flavors in the noodle world. It even caused my Ramen Renaissance. Now all you can find are the traditional flavors. I've found some of the cooler ones- lime chicken for instance- relegated to the Cup-o-Soup shelves. Where did my flavors go?

No comments: