Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Woe is Me and My Roomate

We all remember what it's like to be a kid. Lazing around all day daydreaming and subsisting on junk food. Those days where gaining weight is a non-issue and healthy living even less so.

Unfortunately, some of us are still living like we'll never make it to 30 and could care less if we don't. It's not because we feel invincible. It's not even because we don't care about our health. Mostly, if we're not busy we're lazy. And that's the rub.

For my room mate, she's busy all day long and too tired after she gets home. Well, that and I'm afraid of her cooking. I however am the opposite. I'm taking the summer off and instead of doing all the things I didn't have time for during school like I'd planned, I spend most days on the computer or staring at the ceiling. I have no motivation and no reason to have any. It's when I'm crazy-busy that I want to cook everyday, though whether I actually have time to do so is iffy. We eat junk all day because it's easy. Period, no other justification necessary.

But we WANT to change. It's not about even eating a truly healthy diet. It's about having ONE serving of vegetables a day. Depending on at least ONE round meal a week. Since I've stopped my Sunday dinners, we don't even have that anymore. I'm running out of my freezer rations of my favorite (chock full o veggies) soup, so it's time to restock and start cooking. Vegetables are a priority, but any real food counts.

Since we've decided to try, I've started craving vegetables like a fiend. I forget how much I like them when I'm not eating them. We're starting off with a simple recipe for stuffed tomatoes, and you have no idea how much I'm salivating at the thought. After that, who knows? Vegetable stir-fry? Vegetable kabobs? At least a salad? We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: