Saturday, March 31, 2007

SUBmerging My Fears


Lately, fast-food coupons have been my friends, mostly due to vast amounts of junk mail stuck in my box. A flier for Firehouse Subs was one of many that came, and I dutifully clipped away. I was on a mission to try every major sub place in South Georgia. Of course, going to four places isn’t the Olymics. Firehouse was the last on my list. I’ve been once before and it was mighty tasty. So with coupon in hand, I headed out for lunch.

Of the four sub chains out here, the current ranking is as follows:

Larry’s Giant Subs
Firehouse Subs
Subway
Quizno’s

The top three are good, though Larry’s always outperforms the others. I still enjoy my old stand-by at Subway too. It’s just that every time I’ve eaten at Quizno’s, the subs have had no taste. I’ve been disappointed every time.

This isn’t really the point of the post though.

Like nearly every other child on earth, I was a picky eater. But like many childhood fears, not all of my apprehensions regarding food have disappeared. I’m working through many of them in adulthood. I now eat tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and olives with gusto. Yet, onions have long been my enemy. Don’t get me wrong, I use a liberal hand with the onion powder and have even graduated to using onions in cooking. I just have to put them through a blender is all. Hey, onion soup works just as well! But a very handsome picture of an onion tart about five months ago got me considering what these potent vegetables could really do if given the chance. My decision was made after I watched Alton Brown make a French onion soup. Not only is this on the menu for Sunday, it was on my mind yesterday. This is where Firehouse Subs comes in.

The Firehouse Steak and Cheese is “sautéed sirloin steak with provolone, topped with sautéed onions and bell peppers, mayo and mustard.” Yes, onions. And bell peppers! Something I also have had problems getting over eating. Needless to say, the sandwich was delicious and I killed two birds with one stone- onions and bell peppers. It will still take some experimenting and getting used to, but I’m on my way to recovery.

No comments: