Friday, March 4, 2011

Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Starting out this month's gluten free challenge, I hopped on the muffin train. Since becoming obsessed with bran muffins, it's pretty much my everyday breakfast. However, bran is from wheat is from can't eat it. So, I got to pick up some new and exciting flours to play with. Plus, there's chocolate. How bad can it be?



Not at all bad as it turns out. These muffins were ridiculously moist and light and so flavorful. My one caveat was that they were sort of gritty. I thought maybe it was just the batter, but they baked up with the same texture. Could it be the zucchini skin or is that just how gluten-free baking goes? Still, this made a lovely double batch and will supply a little over a week of breakfast and snacks.

Update: Since writing this earlier in the week, I've discovered that these muffins are so moist, so chocolatey, so awesome, they've started to remind me of fudgey brownies. Really. Also, I don't notice the grittiness anymore. Either it went away with the moisture or I'm too busy shoveling them down that I'm not paying attention. I would make these again once I'm back on the gluten train.

For you baking pleasure: Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
I substituted 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and 3/4 cup of applesauce to the mix.

No comments: