Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart

Look at me! I'm cooking! With the heat coming on strong down here in the South, I'm craving lots of vegetables and whole foods. Well, that and stuff I can just throw together.

While unpacking the kitchen, I noticed that I had bags of clipped recipes all over the place. Remember way back when I had the weekly paper recipe challenge? Me neither. It was so long ago. Regardless, I've got to start using these damn things because I had a big ass pile before and I never stopped adding to it. I've rounded up a pile to start cracking and here's the first attempt.

This tart was a simple slice and bake kind of dinner. Very little prep, few ingredients, and hardy any kitchen time. The recipe calls for three large tomatoes, but I only used two due to mine being quite formidable. If you check out the nutrition info at the bottom, you might want to take note of the fat content. 27 grams of fat per serving. Yeah. I wouldn't blame you if you used fat-free mayo and reduced fat goat cheese.



Now, when I first took this out of the oven, I was so hungry I ate about half the exposed crust while waiting for it to cool. Then I cut into it. Something was wrong. I was afraid to burn the sides of the crust, so I took it out on time even though the top wasn't bubbly. Because of that, it was way to juicy. Still, I had a piece anyways. Hey! I was hungry.



My warm tomato pudding tasted pretty good, but I put the pie back in to cook. Next time, I'll let the tomato slices sit on paper towels for a while to cut down on the juice. Or this would be a perfect recipe to use them right before they're ripe enough. Also, maybe it was because it just didn't work, but I would cut way back on the mayo. Even better, toss goat cheese crumbles with salt, pepper, and basil then throw on top without any mayo.

Overall: Tasty but too much mayo and soggy. Better luck next time.

Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart

Prep: 10 min
Cook: 30 min

1 refrigerated pie crust
3 lg (2 lbs) tomatoes, sliced
1 T flour
1/2 c mayo
3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 c chopped basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

1. Heat oven to 575 F. Fit pie crust into tart pan (or be lazy like me and buy it already in a pie pan). Pierce the bottom with a fork and bake for 5 mins.

2. Layer tomatoes in crust. Sprinkle the tomatoes and stove (you know, for luck) lightly with flour.



3. Mix mayo, cheese, basil, salt, and pepper and spread over tomatoes. Bake until bubbling, 25 mins. Serve warm or at room temp.








Makes 6 servings
Per serving:
Calories: 364
Fat: 27 g
Protein: 5 g
Carb: 25 g

No comments: