Saturday, June 5, 2010

Shrimp and Goat Cheese Quesadilla with Guacamole

I have been fiending over guacamole for the last two weeks, so when I found a paper recipe that combined guacamole and goat cheese, I was set. I had about half a pound of frozen shrimp to use up, plus tomatoes and goat cheese left from the tart recipe. However, the recipe said all the below ingredients made one large quesadilla. The point was to have one huge quesadilla with a tortilla on top and bottom. If you're uncoordinated, or me, you might want to do two smaller halves because mine broke apart like crazy. I'm fine with messy food, but next time for sure.


Since I decided to forgo store-bought guacamole and make my own, I knew I'd spend more time making myself sick on avocados than I would worrying about the actual meal. For two people, this makes a light meal that perfect in summer with just chips and (amazing) guac for a side. Plus, spreading the 8 oz goat cheese between two quesadillas reduces the fat and cost without sacrificing taste. These might also be good with a light sprinkle of shredded lettuce or spinach, or even a sweet dose of jicama. Experiment and don't worry about it.

Overall: So so tasty. Really. I was surprised by how good these simple quesadilla were, but I guess I shouldn't be at this point. Don't miss out - this is the perfect summer meal.

(Also don't forget about the giveaway!)

Shrimp and Goat Cheese Quesadilla with Guacamole

2 T olive oil
1 lb shelled, raw shrimp
1 lg ripe tomato
6 sprigs cilantro
2 flour tortillas
8 oz goat cheese
1 sliced jalapeno pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 container guacamole

1. Put oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Cut each shrimp crosswise into three pieces (or if you're lazy, just chop into smaller pieces). Add to skillet, raise heat to high and cook for 2 minutes, stirring once.

2. Deseed and dice tomato, and chop cilantro. Remove shrimp from skillet.

3. Lower heat to medium and place one tortilla in skillet. Spread the shrimp evenly over it, crumble goat cheese on top, then spread on tomato and cilantro. Add chopped jalapeno, salt, and pepper. Top with second tortilla and cook for 3 minutes.

4. Flip quesadilla and cook for 4 more minutes. Remove, cut into wedges, and serve with guacamole.

No comments: