Sunday, August 2, 2009

Flourless Chocolate Cake


Remember these? A year or two ago, there was a violent flurry of these recipes swarming food blogs everywhere. Just like the rest of the world, foodies get caught up in trends too (remember clafotis and the year of rhubarb?). Well this was one of them. One I was all too willing to jump on, I might add. Alas, it was not to be. My extreme laziness stood in the way of chocolatey indulgence and this idea fell to the wayside like so many others.

However, like most ideas that get stuck in my head, they circle back eventually. I was running out of flour but wanted something chocolatey, preferably a cake. We can all see how this went. On the upside, I got to use my springform pan for the first time. On the downside, I'm not sure how I feel about this cake.




It has it merits, namely a rich chocolate flavor and beautiful presentation. I'm just not sure I baked it right. The middle was pudding with a top shell and the outsides tasted like (well check the ingredients) a chocolate meringue. Not bad, but I was just sort of unsure about it. So while the jury is out, let's direct our attention to the beauty of the finished cake. I loved the rustic look of it. And check out my effort with the powdered sugar topping. Guys, I tried to make something pretty. Can I have a round of applause? Just a little one? This was a monumental step for me in the pretty food category.



Try your hand at it and let me know how it goes. I chose this recipe based on the simplicity of ingredients.