Monday, July 27, 2009

Beer and Aztec Rice

Okay, now if you don't care to read about my ultimate geekdom, I suggest you leave now. I went to the Rockstar Mayhem show in Atlanta last Friday. Guys. I saw Slayer live.

Slayer.

No, really. And it was live. And so cool. I was never a huge fan (Megadeth is more my speed), but got to hear some of the songs I did like. Plus I've always had a thing for Tom Araya, Slayer bassist and vocalist. He's just so chill. And now for the geekdom: Tom is Chilean. And I'm white, so when I was making Aztec rice, I thought of little Chilean Tom. Mexico. Chile. Whatev.

So Tom, I dedicate this sidedish to you. May you always get enough fiber.




Beer and Aztec Rice

Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes

1 T minced jalapeno

1/2 c finely chopped onion

3 lg cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 tsp olive oil

1 T finely chopped cilantro

1 1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 c brown rice

1 c water

1 c dark beer, ale, stout

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup frozen peas (I didn't add these. Who really likes peas anyway?)


The instructions for this were a bit confusing, so this is what I think you should do.

1) Saute the jalapeno, onion, and garlic in olive oil until onion is soft- 5 mins.


2) Add cilantro, corianer, and cumin and saute for 1 more min.

3) Add rice, water, beer, and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook on low for 35-40 mins until rice is tender. When nearly done and liquid is almost gone, turn off heat and let the rice sit on the burner for another 5 mins.

4) Remove pot from heat and stir in peas (ugh). Re-cover and let sit for 5 mins to warm peas.


5) Serve.

I added a black bean, corn, tomato combo, melted cheese on top, and wrapped it in a tortilla. Alone, the rice makes for a nice side dish.

*I so wish I had photochop skillz. Then I could make Tom eat my rice. Not in a dirty way.

2 comments:

Mariana said...

silly silly girl. you are so funny. rice looks good though and glad you had a good time at the concert.

Emily said...

Beer and rice are two of my favorite things. :)