Saturday, June 6, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan




It's that time of year again, ladies and gents. The time for free produce! Yes, in fact I received my first bit of it yesterday: one huge eggplant. Now, I've had a much longer week than anticipated and wasn't really up to a fussy recipe. Add to that the actual fussy recipes I've made in the last two weeks that I've yet to post, and I was just feeling something simple, good, and quick to post. Et voila! Eggplant Parmesan.



Surprisingly enough, I've never made it before. This will be quickly remedied because it was DELICIOUS. Seriously, so good I couldn't believe it. And it's a simple hour affair with very minimal work.



Slice up a couple eggplants, enough to fill your casserole dish. Sweat them for about 20 minutes with lots of salt while you get everything else ready. Rinse well. Dip in an egg wash, then into seasoned breadcrumbs. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F.



Pour spaghetti sauce into the bottom of your dish. Layer eggplant, lots of cheese, then more sauce until you've gotten it filled. End with a layer of cheese. Bake for another 30 minutes.



I even used up a jar of old spaghetti sauce before it went all moldy and used this eggplant right away so it would not have to suffer the fate of some produce of which we do not now speak. On the same note, I'm making the effort to clean out my refrigerator. In the very back on the lowest shelf, I found a few bags. As expected, they were full of bad food. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed that this food dated back to my first boyfriend. Yes, kids. That food was over a year and a half old. Although this has given me great respect for the quality of Ziplock bags, I have lost just a little more respect for myself. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Mariana said...

This looks great! I guess great minds think close enough alike. I too had an eggplant but instead of the parmesan, I made lasagna. It was really delicious and made me wonder why I don't buy eggplant more often. It gives dishes that meaty texture without all the bad fat. Very healthy indeed. Yours looks wonderful.