Thursday, January 1, 2009

More Baked Mac

Yeah, I'm still searching for it. How many things am I on a quest for now? Mac and cheese and chicken salad. Maybe more but I can't think of them right now. The only part I hate about making these recipes is grating all that cheese. See, I'm one of those people who refuses to buy more expensive grated cheese that doesn't have the same quality offerings. Luckily, my dude took care of that. And the cleaning. And most of the measuring. Did I mention I'm the kitchen tyrant?



I think my favorite part of this recipe was the simple bread croutons. They don't hold up well reheated, but right out of the oven they add a wonderful buttery kick to it. However, there wasn't enough cheese. I mean, sure, roughly 6 cups but psht. There's still a ton of noodles to cover with all that cheese. I used a mix of sharp white cheddar and a little more yellow cheddar for the bulk of it. My "secondary" cheese was grated romano. It just lacked a decent amount of flavor and I know it can't all be blamed on my choice of cheese.



I was also hoping that with two people, we could eat the massive amount of macaroni and cheese I created. It's still there. Like, lots of it. Good, but there's so much of it. Plus, pre-boiling noodles? At least 3 pans? No. There's better out there. Sorry, Martha. You're just not cutting it for me today. However, if you'd like to give it a go, I found this recipe via (3 guesses) Smitten Kitchen.

1 comment:

Mariana said...

HEHEHE I thought that was some of your marshmallows on top of the mac! Looks VERY tasty. Mom used to make this often from scratch when we were little and we'd have it with hot beef stew on top.