Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Chicken Flautas

I'm feeling a bit better today, so I'm actually going to post a recipe instead of just giving you the link. Every once in a while I do actually cook things not stolen from other blogs. This is one of those things. I grew up eating these with gusto. Both me and my sister are still hounding my mom for the recipe since we tend to lose these things. The ingredients are simple, but we like to use flour tortillas instead of corn and I use less onion since... yeah, it's me. My mom used to make them specially for me since I just wanted chicken without all the other "stuff". Yet another use for good roast chicken

Texas Chicken Flautas With Salsa

1 med size onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T shortening (I used butter)
1 T cornstarch
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 1/2 chopped or shredded cooked chicken
1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies- mexican section of store
Vegetable oil for frying
12 corn tortillas (or flour)



Saute onion and garlic in shortening in a large saucepan until tender, about 3 min. Stir in cornstarch, salt and pepper; mix well. Stir in broth, chicken and chilies. Cook, stirring constantly, until very thick and bubbly.

Heat about 1/4" depth of oil in a large skillet. Dip tortillas in hot oil for a few seconds to soften; drain on paper towels. (Or just shove in the microwave for about 20 seconds. You only want them soft enough to fill and then roll.) Spoon a heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of each tortilla; roll up. I use a toothpick to keep them together.

Saute flautas, a few at a time, in hot oil in the skillet, turning often, until crisp, about 2 minutes. Keep flautas warm until all are cooked. I eat mine with sour cream and a little salsa.



Extra credit: Salsa

Chop 2 med size ripe tomatoes, 1 med. size onion and 1 med size halved and seeded green pepper. Combine with 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1 minced clove garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp pepper and 1/8 tsp. ground cumin in a small bowl; mix well. Refrigerate 1 hour or until cold and flavors have blended.

About 6 servings

No comments: