Sunday, July 20, 2008

Watermelon Agua Fresca


You will all be proud to know that I am in fact using up my perishables. I say I'll do this every time I leave the house for a few days, but this is the first time I'm actually making the concerted effort to do so. I think I'm a reincarnation of a great depression era person shoved into a modern body that has learned how to be lazy. The thought of throwing away food and not using every scrap turns my stomach, but it happens to often. Maybe this is the start of being less wasteful? Let's hope so. Not only have I made another bout of macaroni and cheese from this recipe to use up some cheese, but I've used half my watermelon making agua fresca. This is a beverage made popular in Mexico that has come to my attention within the last year or so. It also made an appearance in one of my recent magazines and hey! Watermelon!

Now I must say that I was very critical of the recipe I chose. One tablespoon of lime juice? Are you kidding? Now, I don't know about you, but I am the lime-lovingest person I know. If it doesn't kick me in the teeth, there's not enough lime. So I ended up using about a 1/4 cup (the rest of my bottle) because I didn't have fresh limes. I'm still not enough either. Overall though, this is a decent way to use up watermelon if you have it. I'm just not sure I'm sold enough to make it again. Plus, it's a bit unsettling to go back to the frige a few hours later and find it looking like this.



Watermelon Agua Fresca

2 comments:

Mariana said...

This actually sounds really nice and refreshing. Was it? It looks like a Tequila Sunrise.... Have a great vacation.

Zylo said...

It kind of was. If I had any tequila in the house, I probably would have enjoyed it more. And thank you! I will.