Friday, May 2, 2008

International Cookies

So it's that time again. The time when I bribe all my teachers with baked goods. This time I even hit up the school library and found an international cookie book. My original plan for four types of cookies wilted when I realized that I should probably study for some of those finals. Meh. Anyways, I baked two different types that both turned out well, so I'm happy enough.

From "The International Cookie Jar Cookbook" Anita Borghese

Almond Macaroons or Amaretti
From Italy

Ingredients:
1 cup almond paste (8 oz package or can)
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
pinch salt
sugar



Preheat oven to 300F. Line baking sheets with foil.

Put almond paste in a mixing bowl and soften with hands until smooth.

Seperate eggs in another bowl- beat egg whites until just foamy. Add egg whites to almond paste and blend well. Gradually add the sugar and mix well. Sift in flour with salt a little at a time.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets, making small mounds about 1 inch in diameter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake about 20 mins. Remove and cool.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.



Cheese Cookies or Tapabocas
From Mexico

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 cup coarsely grated muenster or monterey jack cheese
1 egg
3 T sherry wine

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease baking sheets.

In mixing bowl, sift together flour and sugar. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to flour mix. Grate cheese and pack loosely into the measuring cup. Add to flour mix. With fingers, mix ingredients well until crumbly.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg lightly. Add sherry. Add to flour mix and mix with spoon or fingers until well blended.

Take small pieces of dough, about a teaspoon at a time, and roll into balls. Arrange on sheet and press lightly with palm to flatten slightly. Bake 12-13 mins until lightly browned. Cool on rack.

Makes about 4 dozen.



Unfortunately, I was in a rush to get them delivered so I don't have any pictures of the packages. They were much like last semester's, but I added a print out of the kinds of cookies and the ingredients in them, just in case of food allergies. It looked very nice for that little package and I'll probably do that again. The almond cookies were crisp on the outside with a strong marzipan chewiness on the inside. Much more strongly flavored than I anticipated, but really good. The cheese cookies were good too. I couldn't put my finger on what they remind me of, but I think it's a mix of shortbread and a cheese biscuit. Unusual, but lovely. Overall, I'd say it was a success.

1 comment:

Mariana said...

Those both look wonderful! How did they taste? You put some in the freezer for me? Glad to see you somewhat cooking again. Keep it up. I've missed you blogging here.