Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ground Beef Stroganoff

I'm not exactly sure where it came from, but there is an old Rival Crock-Pot cookbook on my shelf circa the 1970s. It mocks me with its bright orange cover and the promises of delicious food with minimal gruntwork. I've just been wary of endless meatloaf and olive on a toothpick recipes. Yes, those are in there, but I found there are actually many that I would cook without being held at gunpoint. Hence, more stroganoff.

Does this compare to my grandmother's? No, but few things would. However, I will say that I've had three bowls today so the tastiness here is nothing to sneeze at. Speaking of which, what the hell does that mean and please don't sneeze on any of my food. Oh, guess what? I didn't even process the onions. Nope, just left them in big chunks. Of course, it helps that the slow cooking pretty much made them melt, but still. Thought that counts. See? I'm getting better.



Ground Beef Stroganoff
Rival Crock-Pot Cookbook

2 lbs ground beef
2 med onions, chopped (I just used one)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 4-oz can sliced mushrooms, drained (I omitted this)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 c beef consume or boullion
3 T tomato paste
3/4 c sour cream mixed with 2 T flour

Brown ground beef in large skillet; add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute until onion is golden brown. Put in slow cooker with all remaining ingredients except sour cream mix. Stir. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3 hours. Stir in sour cream 1 hour before serving. Serve over noodles or rice.

2 comments:

Mariana said...

IMPRESSIVE about the onion chunks!! Yes, it counts big time. This recipe looks really good and much easier than Grans. I sure it is very tasty but yea, nobody's taste like her recipe. The book- sounds very familiar, wonder if it came off my shelf to yours?
Hope you're feeling better. Oh, and the blondies look good too. LY Mom

Mary said...

Hey congratulations on a good slow cooker recipe! I may most likely make it when I get off my vegetable kick! (or if I feel like being nice to my husband!)