Monday, November 5, 2007

Maple Apples with Cinnamon Cream

I debated on even making this recipe tonight since, you know, lazy. Mostly though it was because it already seemed late, what with daylight savings and everything. My mind, however, was made up when I read the directions. Microwave only. Hell, yeah. I can do that no matter how busy I am. So with that decided, I made a nice little snack.

To start off with, anything with so many optional and flexible ingredients is good. And while I thumb my nose at microwave recipes (because I'm a snob at heart), I'm one of those poor schmucks who would eat crackers for dinner instead of going through the trouble of cooking these apples in a pan. Vive la microwave! Really though, that microwave prejudice is usually dead on. I like shortcuts as much as the next person, especially if you're like me and don't plan ahead as much as you should for cooking, but being a microwave chef for shit that doesn't require any culinary skill is usually kind of sad. Unless, it's actually a better, tastier recipe OR you'd rather go hungry than cook. I rest my case.

Verdict on this one: Very nice. Simple, quick, most of the stuff on hand- can't beat any of that. I would suggest taking out the maple syrup and drizzling some honey over the apples while still warm, followed by the yogurt. I was happy to break out my 100% maple syrup that I bought LAST YEAR when I insisted I was going to make maple candy. And it's an apple recipe! Well, I only used one. But I cooked an apple!



Maple Apples with Cinnamon Cream
Source: Walmart recipe card (found in the produce section)
Prep: 3 mins
Cook: 3 mins


3 med. apples, peeled (optional), cored and sliced
1/2 tsp grated orange peel (optional)
1 T maple syrup (I think real maple is best here)
1 tsp margarine or butter
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)

Put apples slices and orange peel in a 1 quart microwave-safe dish. Drizzle with maple syrup and mix. Dot with butter. Cover loosely and microwave on high for 3-5 mins or until apples are "crisp-tender". Can you do that in a microwave?

In a small bowl, blend yogurt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Drizzle cooked apples with yogurt mix. Enjoy.

Serves 4

Also, I cooked the second batch of potatoes to yesterday's recipe. My pan fared much better when I actually followed the cooking instructions and kept it on medium. I cooked mine mostly without the lid before, so I think maybe the air has something to do with it. Can you believe I used to be a science major? Heh. Also, this pan does not like med-high to high heat. Anything I cook in those temperature ranges burns to shit. Why?!

No comments: