Sunday, February 4, 2007

Drink Specials

I picked up three cans of exotic looking drinks a few months ago at Harry's. Really, I talk about it a lot, but it's only because I bought several new things I'm excited about.

The Bright Tamarind Juice ended up in my cart because I had been seeing recipes that called for tamarind powder like crazy and wanted to see what it tasted like. I know I've tasted it before. The juice was a little pulpy and it was a thick, syrupy-sweet experience. It tasted wonderful, but with a whopping 57 grams of sugar per can it was entirely too sweet. I found a few recipes for other tamarind drinks with far less that I think will suit me better. Now that I know what it tastes like, I'm itching to use the actual... root?

When I saw a can sporting some awefully lucky looking foliage on the label, I couldn't just walk past it. I've heard of pennywort in suppliments before, though I have no idea what it does for you. What it does for me is not good. At all. It tasted like the water for boiled peanuts. No, I shouldn't say that, because I actually like the brine. It tastes more like unsalted, dirty boiled peanut water. It even had the green-brown color to go with it. Three sips, because I really am a glutton for pain, and it was down the sink. I couldn't care less if this was the cure for cancer, I'm not touching it again.

I had much the same reaction to the basil seed drink as the pennywort. When you do ever see things like this in American food? Can you blame me for being excited? Unlike the picture on the front of the can, the drink itself is a vibrant green. It also has the seeds in it which just tickles me pink. Together it resembled a very strange frog spawning phenomena. I knew I recognized the scent immediately. I had my ah-ha moment when I looked at the ingredients and saw artificial cream soda flavor. It tastes like sweet, flat cream soda with a strong vanilla flavor. Very nice.

So that was the highlight of my day. I finally got around to trying my happies. There is another drink post on the way, so expect that in a few days. Cheers!

No comments: